[Sussex] Problem with Firefox

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 19:55:57 UTC 2008

Peter

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 16:46 +0100, Peter Moule wrote:
> Running Mandriva PWP, when I start Firefox I get a popup saying"Firefox
> restore previous session" and continues"Your last Firefox session closed
> unexpectedly.You can restore the tabs and windows from your previous
> session or start a new session if you think the
> problem was related to a page you were viewing."
>

> I have tried both "Start new session" and "Restore session".Firefox then
> starts but closes after a few seconds.

This sounds like a permissions problem.  Firefox stores information
about your browsing in the folder .mozilla in your home folder.

> How do I clear this without being able to access the error log directly
> from Firefox?

> I have tried un-installing and going back to .13 and shutting down,and
> also rebooting.

The .mozilla folder survives (un)installs.

Try renaming the file to something like .old.mozilla and then starting
firefox.

> Please remember I  am a  greenhorn,so step by step and easy to follow
> please.

Use your file browser to look at your home folder.  You may need to set
an option to "view all files", or "view hidden files".  The phrase used
differs from file browser to file browser.  Under Linux files that start
with a period (.) are automatically hidden, so if you don't see any go
looking for the option and toggle it.

It should be easy to then find the .mozilla folder and rename it.

If this works and firefox stops complaining then you will have an
untailored firefox.  No bookmark history for example.  But the settings
are still stored in the renamed folder.

Steve Dobson

Make sure your code does nothing gracefully.