[Sussex] File recovery help!

davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 17:36:46 UTC 2008

She has recently started to have a few problems which, I am hoping, someone on
the SLUG may be able to help her with.

Alas, poor lady, she runs Windows XP.  Ordinarily this is where I would
stop, but to make matters worse, has just moved some rather
important files (video footage of the kids) to her recyclebin, and then
emptied it! She is now regretting doing this, especially since she has
been told that the camera has also been cleared of all footage.

Being a long time Linux user, I have become pretty well acquainted with
the plethora of data recovery tools available to us, and I can fully
imagine that someone in the SLUG will be too.  And here is where you
should start to see my request forming...

Would anyone in the SLUG be kind enough to lend a helping hand?  If so,
I would greatly appreciate an email off-list so I can give out her
details non-publicly.

Hi Grant,

There are a couple of things to think about before trying to recover the files:
1)  Does she have a defragmentation  program  running on a schedule and if so has it run since she deleted the files?  If she hasn't, DON'T run it as it moves files over the spaces where the files were on the hard drive.
2) Is her hard disk partitioned?  The reason for this is installing any program to recover the files might overwrite the spaces left by the deleted files.

If she does have a partition then she needs to be able to install the recovery program to the partition not containing the deleted files.  Most Windros programs try to default to c:\Program Files\Name of the program.

PC Tools have File Recover 6.2 - go over to

http://www.pctools.com/file recover/
and see what they say.  I have used PC Tools progs before & they have been reliable.