[SWLUG] new member/disabling modem dialling noises

Gavin Burnett gburnett at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 20 13:35:18 UTC 2002

Hello all.

I read about this group in linux format, and I am delighted that there is a
group in south wales at long last.

I have been playing with linux for about 6 months now, and most of it is
fine, but I have one problem that has been driving me up the wall.

I have set up my US robotics modem to dial out to my ISP using chat, pppd ,
etc, but the modem always plays the dialling noises on its internal speaker
when it is connecting to the ISP. In windows it is possible to set the modem
volume to zero, and hence not be subject to the horrible screeching noises,
but I have been unable to find a way to do this in linux.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know before I go deaf.

Regards,

Gavin Burnett.