[SWLUG] playing mp3s over the network

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Jun 11 16:13:38 UTC 2002

On 11 Jun, bascule wrote:
> i have a simple 10mb/s lan and wish to place my 10gigs worth of mp3s on a
> server box and play them over the network to make space on my main box,
> 1. in order to keep playback continuous is there some simple way to give the
> mp3s transfer priority over any other activity,
> 2. is the best way to mount the mp3 directory via, say, nfs and play (i use
> xmms) as if from a local directory, or to use some other better way to do
> this?

The solution i use is Icecast which gives you proper mp3 streaming which
both xmms and winamp will happily listen to.
and obsequiem which is a playlist manager, it picks either random
tracks, or ones you select (via a web interface) and feeds them into
icecast.

http://obs.freeamp.org  for obsequiem
http://www.icecast.org  for icecast

The result is a couple of private 'internet radio stations' playing in
my house that can be listened to from both windows and linux. and if you
want to hear specific tracks you connect to the website and select
tracks & albums as appropriate.