[SWLUG] Win modem not working

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Tue Jun 11 19:17:52 UTC 2002

Dear All,

I have a HAMR 5600 (Windows/Soft) modem and SuSE 8 Pro does not recognise it. I did a Google search (hamr5600 + linux)and found one man who
had a similar problem (Same modem but debian),
  http://www.maniac.nl/linuxlaptop.html

I followed the instructions about which file to download.  I unpacked it and it did create directory
  "/usr/src/smlmd-2.6.12/"
with lots of files in it.  I changed to smlmd-2.6.12 directory and typed "make" but nothing happened.  The message was "No such file or directory".

I am not sure what the purpose of "make" was either, I was just following orders.

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea)

The instructions I followed:
" ... better separation of the binary library and the kernel sources, and therefore can also be used by other kernels then only the provided
suse and redhat systems. Download the drivers here: ftp://ftp.smlink.com/Update/linux/unsupported/. I've used version slmdm-2.6.12.tar.gz, but newer versions should work too. In case the smlink site decides to remove these files, or is off-line i've made a local copy of the relevant files, and links to them can be found below.

To get the modem working follow the following steps:
* Download the driver, unpack it in /usr/src or some other location where you'll be able to recompile the driver on kernel upgrades.
  (/tmp is NOT recommended).
* Compile the driver using 'make' in the smlmd-2.6.12 directory.
* Add the following lines to your /etc/modutils/smartlink file:

options slmdm country=YOUR_COUNTRY
  alias char-major-212 slmodem
  alias slmodem slamrmo
  post-install slamrmo mknod -m 666 /dev/ttySL0 c 212 0

Replacing the argument to country with your country name (get the list of known named with (./slver -c)
* Run 'depmod -a' and 'update-modules'
* Run 'modprobe slmodem'
* If your using devfs make sure that the devfsd creates a symlink from /dev/ttySL0 to /dev/modem. If you're not using devfs just create the
  symlink yourself (ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem)
* Your modem now works, configure PPP or just play around using minicom."

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)