[SWLUG] Linux Install Day

Ian Hill i.a.hill at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 17:55:03 UTC 2003

On 14 Jan 2003 at 0:23, Richard wrote:
> As for venue, I would reccommend someplace like a university room...
> your BOUND to get lots of interest from a uni... Swansea or Cardiff or
> even Glamrogan Uni in Pontypridd (*sigh* the memories)... Reasons for
> this choice in venue: you may be able to get some form of net
> access... possibly even onto JANET (Mirror.ac.uk here we come)...

Well I'm at Cardiff Uni, and I know we hire out rooms. The booking
has to be sponsored by a University department. See:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/ests/booking/aboutroombookings.html

Computer Science (www.cs.cf.ac.uk) live in the Trevithick building
which has two seminar rooms and a large open common room which are
available to hire. Someone, of course, needs to guess-timate numbers.
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/ests/booking/trevithick.html

Pros: almost certainly adequate space, easy to find (close to shot in
the dark), comes complete with a pool of potential visitors :-) Also
my experience is that the rooms arent booked that often so the
chances of availability are high.

Cons: Price (I don't know what the price is - but there will be one.
Surely everywhere will charge? How do we pay?)

I hope someone is going to answer some questions rather than just
posing new ones :-)

See you all next week,
Ian

--