[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 08:14:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:05, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> As root I tried
>   "smbpasswd stephanos" (the only user)
>   "smbpasswd root"
>   "smbpasswd"  (smbpasswd assumes root)
>
> You were right in that they do not ask for an existing
> password.  I entered the new password twice as prompted.
> Alas, all three attempts failed with the same problem
>   "Failed to find entry for user stephanos/root/root
>    Failed to modify password entry for user stephanos/root/root"
>
> Just in case it is relevant the Windows machine is 98SE
> and I do not have to supply a password to use Windows or
> access the network.  The nodes connect via a switch.

Firstly, have you read the man page for smb.conf file, and checked that
you have the right options set.
eg.  encrypt passwords = Yes

Then, you need to work out what username your windows machine is
claiming you are, as that needs to correspond to something on the linux
machine.

Look in the log files under /var/log/samba/  in there somewhere it
should mention what username it tried to connect as.

You can then either create a user with that name on the system (as foeh
did) or you can put an entry in  /etc/samba/smbusers to map that name to
a unix account name. (also make sure you have the config option of
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers in you smb.conf file)