[SWLUG] Certification

Bryn Reeves breeves at avantisworld.com
Tue Sep 2 15:02:41 UTC 2003

discuss-admin at swlug.org.uk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Ive been a member of swlug for a short while now but never needed to
> post, or felt i could give a valid response to other users problems.
> Anyways, i was wandering if any of you have had any experience of a
> linux certification course, i know there are a few UK based courses.
> But value the opinion of users over the often much hyped and often
> annoying persistence of these courses sales teams. So, any
> recommendations? all feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>

> Scott

Hiya Scott,
Looking for more Linux stuff for your life-after-avantis then? ;-)

A lot of my mates from london who've done admin/dev/support work
involving linux seem to think the only one worth bothering with is
redhat's RHCE. Think this is mainly because they have recognition
*outside* the linux community which IT managers can grok.

I'm planning on doing the RHCE myself at some point this year, mainly
for the (alleged) extra employability. One downside is that it does tend
to encourage reliance on some of the more rh specific tools -
(chkconfig, mkinitrd etc.) you often won't find the exact same things
available in other distros or *nixes.

That said, there's also the LPI (http://www.lpi.org/), who're trying to
come up with a cross-distro certification scheme with various paths for
admin, development etc. They've been doing free certification sessions
at expos & shows for the last few years and seem to be getting
somewhere.

They're the only two that I've heard much about. There's various other
courses about which are more geared toward gaining a specific skill than
just certification.

Just my 2cents worth...

Cheers

Bryn