[SWLUG] Re: Starting with Linux

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Thu Jan 20 16:45:16 UTC 2005

Adam Rykala wrote:

> Xandros and Linspire are largely
> one click, I've heard glowing respect for Ubuntu and Knoppis as well,
> particularly with hardware detection....

Ubuntu is excellent in that respect. Everything just worked. What it
doesn't do though is install the servers you'd expect (if you've been
through it all before) so you get no WWW, FTP, SSH or SMB out the
proverbial box.

Also, my cautionary tale. The standard Ubuntu APT repository hasn't got
nearly as much as the Debian one - they take a snap of it every six
months and support that as well, so the versions go out of sync. I found
myself needing something that I knew was in Debian's APT (having
installed it at work) so I added the repository to sources.list and
retrieved and installed it, and all was good. Then I forgot about it.
When I thought, "Oooh, I should do a dist-upgrade" the Debian source was
still there and it got masses of stuff from that, all of which was out
of step with the Ubuntu install... cue dependency hell on a scale unlike
any other. I eventually battled through it, but now have a bizarre
hybrid Ubuntu/Debian system that works just enough for me to burn Fedora
Core 3 CDs to try before deciding whether to go back to Debian properly
again.

Um, that's it.

Steve