[SWLUG] Encoding problem

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 08:25:03 UTC 2006

I have a very large file that I am attempting to carry out some
processing on.

There is a problem in that the file is in French and contains accented
characters. When I do

more filename

They display as odd characters.

I need to be able to divide the file into chunks ( easy)

then I need to be able to send the file chunks to a windows system where
they display properly and operations can be performed on the file.

when I take a part of a French web page and do a cut and paste into a
smple editing problem like Gedit and save the words.  and thenI do a
more on that file the accents are displayed fine.

I would like to do something to the other file to make it display these
characters properly.

Any ideas.?
Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk