[SWLUG] Re Quietist Meeting Ever

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:30:18 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Glasiad <glasiad at linuxquestions.net> wrote:

>  When I questioned meeting places the other day one respondant claimed
> he/she 'saved' £20 by drinking/eating at Wetherspoons rather than a locally
> owned pub. That's probably an exaggeration but does testify to the fact that
> SWLUG meetings must be expensive affairs if you are to keep face and consume
> at a level comparable with fellow attendees.

they're not expensive at all.  you can come and go as you please.  you
don't have to buy rounds, etc.  it's entirely up to you in terms of
what you consume.

>  Another reason I was reluctant to go (apart from distance, expense, and
> pressure to over-consume) is my concern that it may largely consist of a
> spell of subtle oneupmanship where competing members attempt to establish
> their alpha geek status by cramming in as many unregognisable acronyms as
> possible into each sentence ... and so on. Yawn.

this is not what i've seen at the cardiff venue.  if anything, it's
quite the opposite as there seems to be a wide variety of skills and
occupations in attendance.  i don't want to paint a rosey picture
because it's not, but it's certainly not a case of oneupmanship.

--
Gerald Davies