[SWLUG] Open PVRs [ was petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer]

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Aug 5 17:33:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 12:37 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> I have a Winfast VC100 XP card in my box (Athlon 2400XP / 1Gb RAM).
> After a couple of years (literally) chasing my tail with various card
> claiming to work in Linux but failing miserably this one apparently
> does.  I have a 2.6.11 kernel at the moment, apparently 2.6.12 would me
> less hassle but I don't know how to upgrade it (I've never really gone
> *that* far into the guts of Linux).
>
> Could some kind soul please give me baby steps on getting my card to
> work?  I've googled around and it seems it will work with BTTV, the card
> number is apparently 114.

your distro really should have set the basics of this up for you.
but assuming it hasnt.

usually a bbtv card is detected and the driver loads but guesses the
wrong card (because it doesnt know the pci id number, or the number is
shared by several brands/models) a quick look at the output of dmesg
should show you what it thought it detected.

you can force the card detection by adding the following line
to /etc/modprobe.conf

options bttv card=114

hopefully your system will autoload the module for you then.
if not do 'modprobe bttv'