[SWLUG] Open PVRs [ was petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer]

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 19:30:04 UTC 2007

Justin Mitchell wrote:
> your distro really should have set the basics of this up for you.
> but assuming it hasnt.
>
> usually a bbtv card is detected and the driver loads but guesses the
> wrong card (because it doesnt know the pci id number, or the number is
> shared by several brands/models) a quick look at the output of dmesg
> should show you what it thought it detected.

Thanks Justin :)

lspci -vv says:

0000:01:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
Video Capt
ure (rev 11)
        Subsystem: LeadTek Research Inc.: Unknown device 6607
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Step
ping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort
- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (4000ns min, 10000ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
        Region 0: Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot
-,D3cold-)

The 'Unknown Device' worries me.
> you can force the card detection by adding the following line
> to /etc/modprobe.conf

File doesn't exist.  I've added 'bttv' to /etc/modules and also added a
new 'bttv' file in /etc/modutils to see if that does the trick.  I'm
using a program called TVTime, but that says 'No signal' when I run it.

The PC dual-boots Windows XP and it works fine in XP (just watched TV
before booting into Linux so a signal is present).
> options bttv card=114

I put this line into /etc/modutils/bttv

Kind regards,

Julian