[SWLUG] recommendations for a netbook...

Sam Radion sam at samradion.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 09:52:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any recommendations for a netbook?
>
> - I'd prefer one with Linux preinstalled, but I've installed Linux on my
>  other machines (which came with Windows), so one that is
>  Linux-friendly is sufficient.
>
> - I want it to be silent! No fans, ideally no or low keypress noise.
>
> - Decent battery life would be nice.
>
> I mostly want to use it as a notebook since my handwriting's awful &
> paper notes are easy to lose.

My wife has an acer Aspire - runs ubuntu perfectly. £160 for 2gb ram and
160gb hdd, good size screen good keyboard

I have an eeepc (early model) runs kubuntu OK - keyboard too small to be
usuable for long periods of time screen res odd, good battery life and great
as a machine to take with you to hotels where you just want to do a bit of
web/email was about £99 when I bought it 18 months ago