[TynesideLUG] Copying data between two Ubuntu systems

Alex Kavanagh alex at ajkavanagh.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 11:55:14 UTC 2020

Hi Ian

That sounds horrible!  176GB over USB2 is going to take ages.  I would
consider networking them back-to-back or  together over 1G switch and
moving the data that way.  Depending on what you are trying to achieve, use
tar with lz4 compression (relatively fast and definitely reduces text
files, etc.) and nc (netcat) to move the files between the machines.  If
you use tar with preserve links (-h on the untarring side) then you can
effectively replicate the files, permissions, etc.  Generally, (if they are
the same distro's) the uid and gid will match (even if the names in the
/etc/passwd don't).  I'm assuming they are largely single-user systems.

If necessary use a live-cd to boot them.  If you don't have a switch, use a
back-to-back cross-over network cable.

Reading:

* http://toast.djw.org.uk/tarpipe.html
* https://www.tecmint.com/transfer-files-between-two-linux-machines/
*
https://tutorials.technology/tutorials/How-to-transfer-files-over-the-network-using-Netcat.html
*
https://www.golinuxhub.com/2013/12/how-to-preserve-symbolic-links-with-tar/

Have fun!

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 at 21:33, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got 176G to copy between two Ubuntu systems, most likely using a USB 2
> connected external hard drive formatted as ext4, possibly some time this
> week.
>
> Not sure if the UIDs and GIDs of the files from one system match the
> equivalent ones on the destination system. So I might have to use the chown
> command with the recursive option on the destination system.
>
> So I was thinking of using Nautilus to copy data to the hard drive, step by
> step, in more manageable stages than copying everything to the external
> drive in one massive data transfer.
>
> I think I've identified all the gotchas. What do you think?
>
> TIA,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org