[Watford] Installiang Debian

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Tue Apr 4 14:38:32 BST 2006

Walter,

> 2.2 works fine it just wont install the ehternet adpater. As I said,
> it's a PCI Realtek 8139B which is on the list of available kernel
> modules. To make sure I tested the card in a windows system and it
> works ok.
>
> After installing this module I entered the host name, then select DHCP
> configuration to get the address, dns etc but can't it find the server. I
> then used manual config but even then ifconfig shows the localhost ip not
> the static one I assigned.

When you say that "ifconfig shows the localhost ip", does the block
of config info from ifconfig get preceeded by "lo" on the left? lo is
the loopback interface and what should happen when you get your card
working is that ifconfig will still show that info for the lo interface
but then there should be another block of info for the interface created
for your network card, usually labeled "eth0".

When you say "after installing this module", what do you mean? Are you
having to manually insert the module into the kernel using modprobe
or something? Is this a kernel module supplied with the OS or is it
one that you've downloaded and installed seperately?

A few other things about network setup on Debian sarge that might
be helpful... the network settings that you enter during install
for static IP addresses (or DHCP) etc get put into the file:
/etc/network/interfaces. You can find out more about that file
with the command "man interfaces". To bring a network interface
down or up (eg. if you change settings in that file) you can use
the commands: "if-down eth0" and "if-up eth0". Assuming that your
interface is created as eth0 of course!

> The Linux26 command does not work.  I must have a very out-of-date
> version of debian.  I'll check the FTP site for later ones. The
> readme.txt file in disk iso image file give the following version
> info:
>
>         Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 "Woody" - Official i386
> Binary-1 CD
> Thanks and regards, Walter

Yes, Woody is very old now so as you've said in your other email,
you'd really be well advised to try sarge instead IMO. I'm hoping
that sarge will just recognize your card and work so then the
above info wont be needed :)

Let us know how you get on.

Matt

--