[Watford] Installiang Debian

Walter walter at helvatron.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 22:25:17 BST 2006

Hi Matt,

Well I have now built and installed the Kernel.  I have no idea what it was
doing during that hour or so it took to make/compile it but it worked first
time.  It must have been using the HAL of the previously installed system on
which it was built.

Just for fun I tried to find the xserver and then KDE.  APT found both and
they installed AND it works as well.

One problem which, I think, you predicted, it will not use the resolution
1280 x 1074 in KDE. For some reason that displays 800x600 as the highest
setting.  I edited the XF68Config-4 and knocked out all other options then
narrowed the horizsync/vertrefresh and it worked for a short while then
reverted back to 800x600.

The next project is to get the sound card working.  I might need some help
with that.

Walter