[Westwales] A couple of questions

John Bailey westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 18:49:01 2003

Hi Jon,

> * The YDL box cannot be reached over the network. I've got Apache
> running quite happily

When you say you've got it running happily, do you mean that the daemon is
running?  That you can access it from the localhost via http://localhost/
?  Can the box be accessed in other ways than http?  Assuming you've got
the daemon up, quick things to check:

- Is the network interface up ok?
'ifconfig eth0' (I'm assuming it's eth0, anyway) will give you the current
config - check that it's up, has a valid IP, etc.  'dmesg | grep eth'
might show up any errors that were found setting up the device at boot
time.
- If apache listening on the network ok?
'netstat -alp | grep www' or 'netstat -alp | grep http' depending on how
your services are set up - if it's listening you should see a line like:

tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN

> * Is there a (free) Java development package for Linux of any variant.

Backdown.org have JDK-1.3.1 available fer-free.  UK mirror at
<ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.blackdown.org/java-linux/JDK-1.3.1/>

HTH,

John