[Westwales] A couple of questions

Jon Pearse westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 18:56:01 2003

> When you say you've got it running happily, do you mean that the
> daemon is running?  That you can access it from the localhost via
> http://localhost/ ?  Can the box be accessed in other ways than
> http?  Assuming you've got the daemon up, quick things to check:

  The httpd is kicked on startup. Pointing moz at http://localhost or
127.0.0.1 works as expected. (Pointing it at http://localhost/~user
doesn't, though... but that's something wrong with httpd.conf, and
I'm working on that)

> - Is the network interface up ok?
> 'ifconfig eth0' (I'm assuming it's eth0, anyway) will give you the
> current config - check that it's up, has a valid IP, etc.  'dmesg |
> grep eth' might show up any errors that were found setting up the
> device at boot time.

  The ethernet is working fine. About the only errors that I'm finding
from dmesg are to do with one of my hard drives. eth0 is being found
and initialised as expected.

> - If apache listening on the network ok?
> 'netstat -alp | grep www' or 'netstat -alp | grep http' depending on
> how your services are set up - if it's listening you should see a
> line like:
>
> tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*
> LISTEN

  Hrm. That's something I've not tried (not having much experience
with such things). I'll try that when I get back home.

> Backdown.org have JDK-1.3.1 available fer-free.  UK mirror at
> <ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.blackdown.org/java-linux/JDK-1.3.1/>

  Cheers.

-Jon

http://www.jonpearse.net - http://users.aber.ac.uk/jnp2
       jon@jonpearse.net - jnp2@aber.ac.uk

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.