[Westwales] Re: Westwales digest, Vol 1 #31 - 2 msgs

Andrew Rawlins westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 29 09:34:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 13:41, James Stuttard wrote:

>  i'm slowly migrating back accross, any one have any experiance of linux
> on sparc hardware?
> i'm getting a sparc workstation, and it'd be nice to know if there is
> support here if i need it

What sort of Sparc?

Dan in his previous posting is correct, a few of us have tried a few
different OS's on sparc hardware (I have more sparc hardware at home
than intel), so we have some experience within the LUG as to what works
on what hardware, if you have an older sparc (sun4c - things like an IPX
- possibly sparc station 1) you may actually want to stay clear of
Linux, the kernel has a memory leak on that hardware, and it's not
pretty.

If you wan't to borrow any install media (you'll need to get yourself a
Solaris license (free if you only have a single CPU)), I can then lend
you Solaris, I have a few Linux based OS's on CD too.

Cheers

Andrew

--
Andrew Rawlins