[Westwales] Hardware Compatability with SuSe

John Barbrook westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 13:50:01 2003

A server you say?

(Crumbs! I am about to say something that might cause a little rumbling
amongst the masses)

Try not to use SUSE, its a bit more for the desktop, Try to use something
like debian. If you don't feel comfortable and are quite new to Linux SUSE
is ok but starting on the right foot is a good idea, Debian is a lot easier
to keep secure and you probably will learn a lot more and faster using
Debian. Its very much a server Distribution.

Anyhoos try the latest version of the linux hardware compatability Howto,
thats got a list of most supported hardware
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Hardware-HOWTO/ but its a little out of
date. Look on the manafacturers websites and see if they have drivers for
linux. if not, avoid!

I have been pretty happy with.

3Com network cards (I won't use anything else)
Matrox Graphics Cards
Abit Motherboards

avoid motherboards with onboard networking and sound, onboard Raid etc.
Motherboards are usually pretty much of a muchness as far as linux is
concerned. The big question is...... Do you need all that power for a
server!

If you get an older machine for a server, I would suggest a dell poweredge
off ebay you will get a machine that is very compatable with linux rather
than building a specific machine. The dell servers are very compatable with
linux as they can come with redhat as an option....

If you give me an idea of what you are using it for, I could recommend some
things that I have found nifty.

Hope that helps. Ferret