[Westwales] Hardware Compatability with SuSe

John Bailey westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 01:30:01 2003

Just to throw in an extra tuppence ..

> I plan on building a new computer to be fully 100% compatabile with SuSe

TBH, unless you're going for something reasonably exotic, you should be
OK.  Lots of motherboards, network cards and graphics cards these days are
based on common chipsets.  There's also growing support for periperals - I
was pleasantly supprised the other day when I dropped my Visor (Palm Pilot
'clone') onto it's USB cradle, build the appropriate kernel modules,
pressed the 'Hotsync' button and watched it work without a hitch.
(Computers that just work?  Whatever next ...).

Stuff I've used and has worked:
	ABit, Asus, Gigabyte & Elite motherboards.
	486 - Athlon XP, Eden processors
	3COM, Netgear, SMC, Intel network cards
	DAT, ORB, Travan, various no-name and branded CD-RW drives

I'd probably agree with what Ferret suggested - go for something cheap and
cheerful to begin with.  Lots of people start out on old 486 boxes which
can be picked up for next to nothing.  Otherwise you could put together a
proposed set of component and run it by the list to see if anyone's had
any bad experiences with anything you're considering.

Cheers,

John