[Westwales] Mdk 10.0 Shutdown

Colin Sauze cjs0 at aber.ac.uk
Sun Aug 29 16:15:02 BST 2004

Robert Savage wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Is it me or are there problems in Mandrake 10.0, apart from Kernel 2.6
>upsetting the MBR?  I've just done a second new install forcing it to use
>Kernel 2.4 after the first one seemed to have a bug with Kmail, it shut down
>as soon as you tried to read your mail.  In this second install Kmail works
>OK but when I select shutdown from the logout menu the system does not power
>down.  If I do a 'shutdown -h now' from a terminal it shuts down correctly.
>I assume this is a problem with KDE 3.2, any one any ideas before I bin
>Mandrake altogether and try another distribution.
>
>Another problem with this install is its ability to lose the mouse after
>shutdown, I keep having to re-run the config tool on boot up.  Perhaps
>Windows isn't so bad after all :-)

I've installed 2 machines with mandrake 10 both of which already had
windows and haven't seen the MBR bug. I thought it was fixed in the
newer 2.6 kernels??

I've only used 2.6.x kernels and not seen any of the problems you
describe (although I don't use kmail).

The Mandrake 10 errata makes no reference to this bug
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3#install