[Westwales] Debian and firewire drives

Jon Pearse jon at jonpearse.net
Fri Apr 22 20:14:35 BST 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 17:58, John Bailey wrote:

> That'd be the installer, which is supposedly much better in the
> upcoming release.  I'm afraid I've never actually installed 3.0 (I've
> just continually upgraded older versions), but somewhere in the
> install you should have the option of installing additional device
> drivers.  You need to install the firewire driver (ieee1394), which
> I'd presume isn't loaded by default.  After that, you should see the
> firewire drive show up as a SCSI device.

   Oh, I can install additional device drivers during the installation
process, it's just that the boot image on the installer CD doesn't have
them installed, so it doesn't pick up the firewire drive to let me
install on it. If I could get around that, I'd be well away :)

> Of course, 3.0 is ancient by now, so it might be that it doesn't
> include firewire support (or at least not for your device).  In which
> case I'd suggest downloading a boot iso (usually about 40Mb ish - take
> a look at <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/> - look at
> the 'netinst' CD images) from a more recent version, then doing a
> network install to save having to burn 4 more CDs.

   Hrm... see, r5 was the latest 'stable' version I could find, and I
had enough problems finding the r5 version of CD 1 this morning
(bittorrent failed me) - most of the mirrors are still hosting r4.
   However, I've just kicked off the appropriate net installer (184MB)
and I'll see how that goes...

   Cheers,

-Jon

  http://www.jonpearse.net                            jon at jonpearse.net
  AIM/Skype: JonDPearse                      Phone: +44 (0)78 1260 2710

  Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
  and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.