[Westwales] Debian and firewire drives

John Bailey wwlug at anotherdimension.net
Fri Apr 22 22:07:05 BST 2005

>  Hrm... see, r5 was the latest 'stable' version I could find, and I had
> enough problems finding the r5 version of CD 1 this morning (bittorrent
> failed me) - most of the mirrors are still hosting r4.

Aih - see the raging debates about the speed of the Debian release cycle
.. 3.0 must be 2 or more years old by now - the revisions are usually only
security fixes/licensing issues - they don't actually pull in new versions
of anything unless they're absolutely forced to.

Many people (myself included) use 'unstable' (at home, anyway) - which
while it can sound a bit unattractive, isn't usually that bad (the only
time that I can recall that I had a real issue was when they broke the PAM
packages, meaning that you couldn't log in using any PAM enabled method
... a real kicker for people who had machines sitting in remote data
centers).  Then there's the mid-point, 'testing' which I find tends to be
pretty good.  All depends how close to the bleeding edge you want to get.

> However, I've just kicked off the appropriate net installer (184MB) and
> I'll see how that goes...

Ah, I see it's bulked out since I last did an net install =)

John