[Westwales] Another fix please!

Matthew Bennett mwb3 at aber.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 11:52:05 GMT 2006

Robert Savage wrote:
> I prefer Kppp and have installed that on the desktop but on trying to
> connect
> I get "unable to open modem".  If I then install the modem in Yast it will
> work but only for that session, on reboot I'm back to square one.  After
> installing the modem a link "@modem" appears in the /dev but this
> disappears
> on reboot.  Anyone any idea what I should be doing or whereabouts in the
> config files I should be fiddling?

Hmmm... You say the link @modem appears after YaST has installed it - what
does it actually link to? If it just links to ttyS0, try rebooting the
machine and then creating the link manually (as root, try typing ln -s
/dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem) If that works, that might be all YaST is doing - in
which case, you could create a script to do that for you on boot. I think
YaST may be able to help you call scripts on startup - have a little look
in /etc/rc.d/ at some of the scripts there for a feel for how the scripts
work.

However, YaST likes to be in control, so if you can get YaST to configure
it on startup itself, all the better. Sorry, it's been a while since I
used anything more than apt/slapt/dpkg...

Hope that helps,
Matt