[Westwales] Dialup

Adrian D. Shaw ais at aber.ac.uk
Tue May 23 08:59:54 BST 2006

> About the only distribution I've seen thus far which is 'newbie
> friendly' is Ubuntu.

The latest Mandrake (aka Mandriva) I installed - 2005 - is IMHO just about as
good. I daresay 2006 is better still.

> I gave up on anything involving RPMs long ago
> after serious headaches trying to manage multiple servers and still
> keep dependencies in a vaguely working manner :/

apt-get in Ubuntu is in my experience just as bad (actually worse) for this. I
broke my Ubuntu 5.10 installation by installing stuff via other routes, which
was not available via apt-get, within a week, and ditched it for Fedora Core
4.

I've had no such problems with yum yet.

Adrian