[Wiltshire] Mythtv and DVB-C with NTL / Virgin / UK Cable

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Feb 22 18:41:09 GMT 2008

Andrew Meredith wrote:
> Robert Longbottom wrote:
>> Ok, following on from the brilliant success of my previous question, here
>> is another!
>
> Getting the channels on cable is part one of the problem, part two is
> getting a feed of program data. You can use the mythfilldatabase tool
> with the usual add-ons, but there might be a better way.

Getting listing data isn't really a problem.  Xmltv gets it quite nicely
from the RT website.

> Can you get Freeview? This has a built in EPG stream, includes a
> shedload more than the usual terrestrial channels and is of superb
> quality .. where available. If nothing else you can miss out the
> Freeview channels from the cable channels, or Sky or whatever other grey
> channels you might be pulling in. You get one of those at a time,
> whereas you can do 2 or more Freeview ones for no additional license fees.
>
> A card to do this, some with 2 channels, can be bought for around the
> same price as the cable card. It's dead easy to set up and from my
> experience (*) freeview is very stable reliable and clean.

Sadly where I live I can't get freeview - hence all the messing about
with satellite dishes and maybe cable.  I would much rather have a dual
DVB-T card, but it's just not an option :-(  Freeview isn't coming to
Swindon for a few years yet.

Robert.