[Wiltshire] Nice hardware offer

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue May 21 21:43:57 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-05-21 at 21:55 +0100, Sam R. via Wiltshire wrote:
> Funnily enough Dave, I have an old ATX PSU that I forgot I about until I
> went into the attic the other day. I can't comment on if it has the
> connector you're looking for. I'll go dig it out tomorrow after work and
> see what's on it.
>
> Out of interest, what's the power draw on your new fanless motherboard?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

As far as I can tell, the required internal power in plug looks like it
might be one of these:-
39-01-2020 - Molex Female Connector Housing - Mini-Fit Jr, 4.2mm Pitch,
2 Way, 2 Row

At the moment I'm running with a DC power plug lead chopped from an old
wall wart shoved into the back panel input socket. hooked onto a desktop
laboratory power supply at the other end.

I've just installed Ubuntu server onto a new Toshiba P300 2TB drive
received today, and to stress it out a bit for a while before I decide
to upgrade my home server I'm running BOINC projects on it which has
certainly warmed up the heatsink. At the moment it's concentrating on
SETI at home and World Community Grid. The current meter on the power
supply set to 12V is wandering between 1.1A and 1.2A.

My limited experience of old ATX PSUs that have sat gathering dust for
some years is that when put back into use they work for an hour or so
and then go BANG! tripping out the ring main circuit breaker.

Cheers,

Dave