[Wolves] laptop screen bugger

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 23 15:04:00 2002

--- Steve Crozier <info@a2rt.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 Dec 2002 5:05 pm, Aquarius wrote:
> > I doubt it, mind; it sounds like a
> > hardware fault to me. What did the blokes who
> fixed it say they did?
>
> Well the plot thickens. At first he quoted me 100
> squid to fix the flurescent
> tube that lights the screen, then he started going
> on about how its actually
> costing  350 and he'll have to replace the whole
> screen!! I reminded him of
> the 100 quote and he said he'd do it as a favour (my
> dad recently spent a bit
> of cash on a new machine from him)...
> I really justt wanted to double check if it could
> have possibly been me, so
> when i take it back i know where i stand.

Sounds like these guys are trying to fleece you. I
would get it back and not pay up. :D

It is unlikely that wrong XFree86 settings will mess
up the screen - my first Linux install was done on a
486 laptop 5 years ago and it didnt screw it up when I
messed up the vidtune settings.

Incidentally - what does the screen look like when you
first boot it and the BIOS shows - if it is dim then
it is a hardware fault as there is no OS involved.

> Nah, an old dell latitude 266i I've read lots of
> good reviews, did my research
> before i got it.

I have a Dell and once in a while it goes slightly dim
but very rarely.

> thanks guys, for a while it thought 'XFConfig has
> f**ked my laptop!' Anyway
> i'm going to watch fight club now, and forget about
> it till tommorrow

Great film!

  Jono

=====