[Wolves] Smoothwall and wireless

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sat Oct 4 21:13:02 BST 2003

On Saturday 04 October 2003 8:44 pm, Adam Sweet wrote:
> Hi all, am I correct in assuming that Smoothwall
> doesn't do wireless? My friend is moving into halls at
> uni with a wireless internet connection and after
> months of my bragging has decided Smoothwall is the
> best way to protect himself from the rest of the
> world.
>
> He has been told not to use an access point, just a
> wireless card.
>
> Any other suggestions? Mandrake Multi-Network Firewall
> perhaps? I'd prefer not to hack Smoothwall to make it
> work as inevitably, I'll break somthing and the thing
> I was trying to achieve will fail :/

You are correct, Smoothie does not support WLAN cards (yet, this may be in
V2.0 when it eventually gets released).

Mandrake MNF is based on the Mandrake 8.2 distro with the 2.4.18 kernel and
has some support for WLAN cards based on the Intersil Prism2 chipset (one of
the most common).  I have not tested this though.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk
ron at wellsted.org.uk