[Wolves] activists linux...

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 12:57:01 2003

Heya,

> Point b:  Definitely disagree on this one.  You and
> I buying fair traded
> goods isn't going to change the world, but it will
> begin to change the
> lives of some people for the better, and the more of
> us do it, and the
> more we do, the more change there will be.  Big
> changes will result if
> we can change the terms of world trade, so that
> producers actually get a
> fair whack for producing, and the west doesn't dump
> its subsidised
> products in developing countries and destroy the
> markets for local
> producers.  I think this is worth campaigning and
> working for.
> Ideological purity has a very poor track record of
> putting food onto
> plates IMHO.

I agree in the sense that just because someone is
buying fair trade stuff doesnt mean that they are just
making themselves feel like they are doing the right
thing. It all depends on how you view contribuution to
the cause. As you probably all know, I am a deep
believer in the theory that everyone can make a
practical difference even if they are only supporting
a good cause by buying the right goods. In any case,
the whole idea of lots of people doing a little to
contribute is the essence of the free softwre
community. If you see bug, report it to the developer.
It takes a few minutes, and that bug makes that
application better which in turn makes it more
accessible for people to use and stop using
propreitary software.

Incidentally, I did see the webpage you posted Fizz,
but the language of the page severly put me off. It
seemed a bit intense and radical in its wording. I
think if they were tosound a bit more professional
onthe page it might sound more convincing.

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician