[Wolves] activists linux...

Steve wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 13:22:01 2003

12/09/2003 11:58:15, fizzy <fizzyorguk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>a) You can't reform capitalism, it's a flawed concept.

i agree.But in some ways i don't actually think capitalism has even happened yet. In
terms of the free market anyway - i don't see a free market, just subsidised trade and
monopolies. There's also the vandalism of the currency speculators making money from
(phantom virtual) capital whilst adding no value to society whatsoever. In terms of
reform tho it would be interesting to see if the Tobin tax could work

>b) fair trade coffee is just so rich people can think
>they are doing good to the world, it is not the future
>(that whole 'greenwash' thing...)

i hear what you're saying , but pragmatically i think fair trade is helping some
farmers, but like you say, you have to be able to afford it in the west, which when you
are working in a Mcjob, isn't as easy as it could be. One element of this is that we've
had a flawed view of how much commodities cost as the market doesn't allow for concepts
such as a decent wages (or in the case of industrialised farming, animal
welfare/environmental protection) , so we're used to paying rock bottom for our
food/drink.

i know what you mean with the greenwash thing -  with organic food  - the same
supermarkets that have an expensive organic range are encouraging a race to the bottom
in standards for other food by their horrendous purchasing stategies/threats , so there
is an inherent contradiction there in terms of where this is going.

ste