[Wolves] Greetings/Help advice ref Soothwall Please

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 12:05:42 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 10:52, B wrote:
> Greetings everyone at the W lug, Thankyou for the Welcome on here. (
> No Problems with anyone,just
> everyone being extra safe  C)
> Sorry my selling going down hill  :-)
>
> So far far ref Smoothwall ,I have only been reading the Docs
> trying to make cence of what Im reading,to make sence.
>
> 1. box for Smoothwall is  166 or 266 amd cpu ,64 meg ram
> & 1 gig hd plus 3 differant network cards
> 1 ISA Card  & othe other 2 are pci
>
> What I hope to do is setup my win box & linux box to the net net, also
> network from linux box to  xp or win me.
>
> As Im new to Linux,can any one offer any advice please.
> Take care
> Thankyou for your time & any help.
> bye
> Barry   ( Brush)

Sometimes the best thing to do with Linux is have a play with the
hardware, then read the documentation (actually thats what I do with all
technical stuff all the time!), you can then just pick the relevant bits
out of the docs as you need them.

As to smoothwall, its pretty good at setting itself up, with a couple of
provisos:
1) A compaq pc will not appreciate you formatting the HD prior to trying
to install Smoothwall, Smoothwall won't install
2) Smoothwall sometimes doesn't like identical network cards.
3) It can be a good idea to have three different cards though, because
when you do have identical network cards you can spend half an hour
trying to figure out which one has been assigned to Red etc.

Once installed, the port forwarding bit can be confusing at first, but
becomes easy in practise - you have to turn each port on twice  - you
have to say forward port 80 to 192.168.1.200 in one screen and then in
another allow access to port 80.

Have fun.