[Wolves] New vs 2nd hand laptops

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Sun Apr 11 22:04:40 BST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 21:33, Lee Parkes wrote:

> * Mustn't be too big, it has to be carried all over the place so I don't want
>   to get a hernia doing so
>
> * MUST have a 9-pin serial interface as I do a lot of network kit configuration
>
> * Battery must have a reasonable lifetime (2.5hrs+)
>
> Oh, and I don't want to spend too much on it either :) Somewhere around the 500
> quid mark, maybe 600 at a stretch.
>
> Any ideas folks?

I used to have a Compaq Armada M700 and now have a Dell Lattitude C400,
both run linux with no problems and both are lightweight, have 9 pin
serial and have a good battery life.  It seems to me that these days you
can't really go wrong unless you go for one of those desktop replacement
jobbies that cost a fortune, weigh and ton and fall in value like a
crash damaged tvr.

The M700 is good value on the site you looked at and lightweight
lattitudes are also available so take a look at both of these as second
hand bargains.  I would stick to a decent brand name on laptops I never
stray from compaq, ibm, dell and toshiba every none branded lappy has
disapointed me in the past but the old favourites always seem to do what
you expect of them.
> Cheers,
> 	Lee
the other parkes