[Wolves] IMAP and Horde/Squirrelmail

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 19:11:00 GMT 2004

Adam Sweet wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I wonder if someone can give me some pointers...
|
| I'm evaluating Cyrus-IMAP, UW-IMAP and Courier-IMAP as
| well as Horde/IMP and Squirrelmail as webmail
| interfaces. All on Debian testing.

OK.

| With Cyrus, I can log in to Horde and can send mail
| but not see recieved mail in either Horde or Kmail.
| With UW and Courier I can't log in to Horde but can
| see received mail in Kmail. I can't log in to
| Squirrelmail at all either way.

Sounds like postfix isn't sending mail to cyrus correctly. Check
/etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/postfix/master.cf

main.cf should have something where it says the delivery agent is e.g.
cyrus, and cyrus itself is defined in master.cf.

| Can anyone point me at a good doc or have experience
| of getting the mailbox/imap/webmail client end points
| to join together?

Google.. I know I've come across good postfix+cyrus howtos in the past,
although they all tend to contain small errors or be a little out of date.

| My preference is Horde and Cyrus, I just need to get
| the mailbox folders visible in Horde but don't know
| where to start looking.

I'd say - go for cyrus. With it you can keep mail out of /home, use e.g.
ldap (or anything) for authentication (so you can have a seperate user
password from a mail password etc, or not give mail users shell accounts
etc etc)

| I do have the Cyrus manual but a) it's written in
| fluent gibberish and b) it appears the Debian package
| is configured with different options to the one in the
| manual.
|
| Postfix as the MTA works great and I can send mail
| from Horde and recieve incoming mail, though I can't
| see it in Horde.

Erm. Not sure why that would be. Make sure Horde is configured for
IMAP/Cyrus... the settings are visible if you're logged in as an admin
that horde recognises.... we've been using horde 3.0 alpha for some time
now and it's been flawless... not sure what is in debian to be honest.

| Any help is appreciated.

If you're still having problems, hassle me tomorrow.. we've got a couple
of systems running horde/cyrus/postfix which could be used to give you
sample config stuff...

David.