[Wolves] Nervous breakdown

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 16:41:43 GMT 2004

Hi David

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 16:12, David Goodwin wrote:

> >>Make sure you specify the _full_ path to any executables you may be
> >>running in a cron script, as often $PATH is not set.
> >>i.e. not "savget" but "/usr/bin/savget" or "/usr/local/bin/savget" or
> >>where ever it is.
> >

> > Here we go
> >
> > # Sophos
> > 08 14 * * * /usr/local/bin/savget -a
> > 30 10,16 * * * /usr/local/bin/sweep / -f -p=/var/log/savlog.log
> >
> > The weird thing is when I made the changes there is now what I call in
> > Windows a ghost file I have the cron file but there is also a cron~ file
> > as well, this is the type of thing I mean I know it shouldn't be there
> > but how do I sort it? and surely it shouldn't happen?
> >

> I assume you edited the crontab entry using "crontab -e" or similar?
> You should be able to delete the cron~ file - some editors leave them
> behind so you can revert to an old/previous incarnation of the file
> incase you make a bo-bo.

you forget O wise one I am but mere spec on the fly that eats from the
dung of your yak

I just use a bog standard text editor,

If only I was in the realms of the gods and could use Vi in conjunction
with bash but Vi frightens me I had a go once but couldn't figure out
how to do something or other and haven't used it since.

> > OK deep breath, You might shout at me, 1st I always thought the
> > server(PC) had to have a higher number eg x.x.0.99 however the books
> > kept giving the same numbers (I can photocopy to prove if you like) for
> > the client and the server!! I thought maybe Linux was different and
> > thats why they had the same addresses I could ping but I think I was
> > just pinging myself "Doh!"
> >

> It doesn't matter who gets what IP address, as long as they are
> different, and on the same subnet.

I take it you mean 255.255.0.0

> >>If you are positive you have e.g. networking working ok under Windows,
> >>then try pinging one box while it's running windows from the other
> >>running Linux - this would verify that the linux box is configured ok -
> >>often with two hosts it's hard to tell which isn't cooperating!
> >

> > Now this is the good bit possibly it's the names that are clouding the
> > issue ie "hosts" oh! stuff it.
> >
> > Is this right?
> >
> > Server(PC) Suse 192.168.0.99
> > Client (Laptop) Fedora 192.168.0.1
> >

> OK.
> So you have in /etc/hosts :
>
> 192.168.0.1 fedora
> 192.168.0.99 suse
>
> ??
Oops! not at the moment at least as far as the laptop is concerned I'll
check the PC when I get home

> You don't need names really - just see if you can get things working at
> the IP level first, and then add in name resolution - it's one less
> thing to debug.
>

> > Now don,t scream I then used the command "mount
> > 192.168.0.2:/home/sneyd/share /home/sneyd/suse"
>
> I'll assume that 192.168.0.2 is an existing server?

See, I knew you are the all knowing sage

> > Having created an account on both machines called sneyd (since disabled
> > for any hacker out there) trying to mount the suse share on the laptop.
> >
> > I did get permission denied by server but I wasn't sure if that was the
> > laptop denying permission to do the mount or the suse machine telling me
> > to get lost.
>
> Did you edit /etc/exports ? If not add in an entry like :
>
> /home/sneyd/share *()
>
> and run "exportfs -rv"

Ok under the GUI in suse it shows (Ooh hang on am I supposed to have
this on both the laptop and the pc?) in my logical mind all I want to
export is the PC share

> > If I can only mount as root surely it will tell me to get lost as user
> > "sneyd" (Fedora) is trying to connect to "sneyd" suse?
>
> No. NFS will map user id's across (but you need to make sure sneyd has
> the same User Id on both systems for this to happen).

I'll check

> > All I want to do is swap pictures and files is that too much to ask?
> >

> no :)
>

> > Yeah I quite like packages and if you use xamiam's Red Carpet to install
> > them Red carpet will find the dependencies as well pretty good for
> > novices like me.
>
> apt-get is pretty good too...

Ha Ha this was another ./configure make make install that fell over plus
correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't have a Gui front end

> > Yeah but I want to be smart like wot U R
> >

> If only...

Money any use?