[Wolves] Hard Disks and backups

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 12:41:28 GMT 2004

Hi,
A bit of advice needed.

I need to set up a backup server for a bunch of windows machines. I have an
old machine (p 200MHz ?) and authority to buy a couple of 120Gb hard disks.
I'm going to set up samba and use a cron job to copy all our important data
onto the server nightly, then back that up onto tape so I have three copies
the live, the backup, and the tape.

So:
Can Linux do disk mirroring out of the box (without hardware support, I dont
have any RAID controllers or anything clever like that).

Does Linux support HP Travan tape drives?

Any recommendations on hard disks (speed isn't important but reliability and
cost are)

Anything else I should take into consideration?

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.