[Wolves] Updating remote pc

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 18:57:30 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 Feb 2005 17:22, Wayne Morris wrote:
> My server (which i haven't looked at since I installed FC1 over Redhat 8
> some 10 months ago) has not got
> rpm
> yum
> apt-get
> installed on it when I came to update it earlier.

That's bizarre. RPM should always be installed by default on both Red Hat and
Fedora, although it is possible (if not sensible) to uninstall it manually
afterwards.

> I only want to add ImageMagik, preferably by using ssh from another pc.
>
> What are my options? Find and install one of the above from a zipped
> file and 'make' and then use it to grab ImageMagik?

I'd suggest trying to get RPM and working, then using it to install the
ImageMagick package that came with FC1. Then get up2date working so that you
can install any relevant security updates. Without these programs will be a
pain to add or remove software or keep the system up to date with security
patches - long term you may want to consider a full re-install.

If the RPM database is intact but the rpm command is missing your best bet is
to copy the binary from /bin/rpm on an existing FC1 system and hoping you
have the correct libraries for it to work (reasonably likely). If that is
successful, you can then SSH the proper rpm RPM across from FC1 CD 1 and
install that (so you end up with a "proper" install of rpm). Finally SSH the
ImageMagick RPM over and install that.

If the RPM database is corrupt I'd suggest building from source, or if the
necessary compilers aren't present installing a binary from a tarball.

> Any other suggestions?

Don't let people have root access to the machine if they are likely to do
things like uninstall rpm! :)

Hope this helps,

James