[Wolves] setup a internet link during bootup on Ubuntu (warty)

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 01:26:34 GMT 2005

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 23:42, baza wrote:
> Adam Sweet wrote:
> > --- baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >>When I was running FC3 it would 'turn on' the
> >>Internet via my Belkin
> >>ADSL router/modem during bootup, when it set the
> >>clock to the ntp
> >>server. Anyone know how you can provoke warty to do
> >>that??

(snip)

> The problem is the Internet times out after 45 mains and drops the line.
> On boot up my pc gets an SIP address from my router via DHCP with no
> problems, it just won't connect to my ISP. To do that I have to browse
> to my router with Firefox  and activate the net manually.

I think you mean IP (Internet protocol) address rather than SIP (session
initiation protocol, used for voice over-IP/Internet telephony).

Sounds like your router is configured to connect to the Internet on demand,
and drop the line if it remains idle. The DHCP traffic is contained within
your local Ethernet so won't bring up the connection, but trying to browse
the web using Firefox will do so (the requirement being at least one outgoing
packet destined for the Internet). The ideal solution would be to configure
your router to:

 - Connect immediately when the unit is switched on
 - Automatically reconnect whenever the line is dropped

See the documentation for your specific router for details. :) If the above is
not possible then some fairly nasty workarounds would be:

 - Send a packet to the Internet as part of the machine's boot sequence to
bring the connection up
 - Send a packet every 45 minutes or so, to keep the connection up or to
re-establish it if it has gone down

For the first, you could try something like "host www.google.com" in the boot
up sequence (put it at the end of file /etc/rc.d/rc.local), for the second
you could try "ping -i 2700 www.google.com" launched in the background from
boot-up. (-i <number> specifies time interval in seconds.) It doesn't really
matter what command is used, so long as it transmits at least one packet from
the local network to the Internet.

Regards,

James