[Wolves] Fedora Core 3

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 10:29:32 GMT 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 18:33, Tim Humpherson wrote:

> OK Peter,
>
> I have tried the following Distros:
>
> 1. Debian (favoured by Jono and my first attempt to install Linux
> OS.....pretty hard, but I'll save that for when I get used to Linux
> first)

I would like to get this working as well, seeing as 'The Gods' seem to favour
Debian however like you all my six attempts to get it fully installed have
failed, sure any fool can get the base system on then it has get all stupid
and make it really really difficult to get the rest on (Just my opinion
anyone wishing to disagree post an idiots walk through guide and not an "Its
better coz I say so" - sorry Mr Grumpy this morning

> 2. Xandros (not bad, but difficult to get good support)

Not used it.

> 3. Mandrake 10.1 (It's alright, dunno if you would recommend me that or
> not?)

How much exposure have you had to Linux? This is the one I would (and do)
recommend to all beginners (I hate the word newbie) its easy to use has the
Microsoft/Windows feel about it (forget Lindows IMHO I think its rubbish)
nearly all newcomers are from a Windows environment so easing them in gently
is better than chopping them off at the legs.

I will admit that I have not used Mandrake for about two years now but I bet
its still as good for new users.

> 4. SuSE 9.2 Professional - Pretty cool and I liked it very much, but
> tricky when I tried to install softwares.  Maybe I didn't read
> properly re the rpm package instructions?

This is very slick but remember Suse do their own thing so stuff will be in
different places to other Distro like say Fedora plus you are tied in to the
yast system. You can install by other methods but yast can, and has with me,
get upset a good example was my attempt to upgrade KDE from the Linux Format
magazine last year everything seemed to go OK but the system refused to run
the new version.

> 5. Fedora Core 3 (I'm using it currently) - Very nice package, I guess
> I might have been influenced to choose FC3 as per Linux Format's
> reviews.  Just because lots of people favours Apt-Get technology
> (Debian) can be used under FC3.  I don't know how to get that done.
> Moreover, I'm suprised that Thunderbird 1.0 does not work under FC3?
> I wonder why?

In theory (I stress theory) you are using Redhat when you use Fedora. I like
it too, you must always remember that it is a test Distro that means while RH
engineers help out with fixes the idea is the Fedora community maintain
improvements and so forth in return Redhat take all the stable, new features
and sell them with their proprietary software.

So long as you keep backups and notes on any personalisation you've done
you'll be OK. just remember things may well get broken on it but a fix is
usually only a couple of days away.

> So, Peter, just tell me which Linux Distro would you RECOMMEND for a
> beginner like me?

You are no longer a beginner (I promote you) If you can install Linux, start
it up, shut it down, send and receive email and print off letters you've
cracked it! you are a competant Linux user.

As Jono said a few months back everyone seems to miss the point about using
Linux they think that they have to constantly tweak and modify everyday day
in day out and thats just not true what people want is an easy to use viable
operating system that they can email their friends, family and or customers
with and write that novel on, oh, and look at porn without fear of getting
infected with a virus or pop ups -Just kidding.

So to finish, If you still feel intimidated use Mandrake but seeing as your
doing OK with Fedora I'd say stick with that I'll help you as much as I can
but I'm no expert either others on this list have far more skill than me.

Feel free to email me on or off list just remember after 5.00pm on a Friday I
sometimes don't respond until Monday unless I'm drunk and on my Suse machine
at home (I have a life) :-)

--
Regards,
Peter Cannon.