[Wolves] Tiscali and Linux

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 07:06:06 BST 2005

Hi Folk

furthr to my last night's post on the modem issue, I
could do with advice on the following:

To install the modem I used Sagem's own Linux tar
(well done Sagem). This is what I did, though its not
quite following their instructions which is where I
think I went wrong:

Sagem's instructions are to open the tar using su
under /temp and unpack it with "tar xzf". What I did
is placed the tar in folder uner the user's home
directory and extracted there. The opened a terminal
and did "su" and navigated to the folder and then did
./configure..make..make install...eagleconfig (which
is the modem's config screen to input user name and
password and to tell the module to start at boot time.
However, I did get the following message:
"warning your path does contain /usr/local/sbin... if
you are using bash update /root/.bashrc"

To get the eagleconfig screen to show in a terminal I
had to switch desktop sessions and become root, then
open a terminal window then do eagleconfig and then
enter user name and passowrd for the ISP, and say yes
to start at boot time and then do "staradsl" which
then connects to broadband. broadband will then work
under normal user. But when I shut the pc down and
reboot I have to go through a new desktop session
under root, open a terminal window and issue the
"startadsl" command.

What I want to happen is that "startadsl" loads at
boot time everytime for all users. What do you think I
should have done?

Many thanks in advance.

Mo

PS: I have to go to work in a few minutes :-( so I
will not see responses until later today. I wished I
could spend all day on my friend's computer and get
everything working for her. :-(