[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 13:04:58 BST 2005

--- roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Hi all thanks for the responce, I have taken a shine
> to the cannon
> EOS 350D, just gonna go look at it this afternoon.

I don't know about Canon cameras but their printers
are poorly supported under Linux, though the Canon
scanner I inherited works fine, the driver isn't from
Canon of course. Make sure you can use it with Linux.

> Also I have another issue, my raid controller chip
> is set to normal ide mode
> on my mobo and i have a dvd drive on there, but for
> some reason it won't
> recognise it, bios as well....the drie is fine
> because i have tried it on a
> regular channel....do raid chips only support HDD's
> in normal mode???

SATA RAID chips don't work with devices below ATA100
and optical drives are commonly ATA33, this might be
the problem.

You would probably be better off putting the DVD drive
on an ATA channel and putting an HD on the SATA
channel. Note: as I found out, putting your /
partition on SATA after the system has been installed
on with the disk on a regular IDE channel means you
may have to make a new initrd for grub to find your
root filesystem. How to do this was kindly explained
by Dave Goodwin and is here:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2005-July/015403.html

Ad

--