[Wolves] simple network question please

Baza baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 15:50:43 BST 2005

On 25 Jun 2005, at 12:18, Bobby Singh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone answer just this simple question.
>
> SETUP:
> I have a modem/router on my computer (host). And in
> another room a wireless enabled computer.  Everything
> works, both computers or just 1 computer can access
> the internet.
>
> QUESTION:
> I have a firewall/anti-virues on my computer and all
> OS.  Now does the other computer need its own firewall
> or does my computer being the host with its firewall
> protects it (when its on of course).
> The router has option for a firewall.  If i enabled it
> i assume it will protect the other computer.  However
> will there be conflict with the firewall i have on my
> computer (guarddog and zonealarm).
>
> Cheers
>
> Bob

I have a Windows box on my network, yes I know. It runs zone alarm as
it's firewall. My router is a belkin 54G with firewall. The router
firewall has no effect on zone alarm, other than look at the za log
before turning on the router firewall, then look when it's on. The ZA
log will be empty of incoming problems.

Even though your XP box won't be at as much risk once the router
firewall is on, in fact,very little risk at all, I'd still keep za
running, after all, it's windows 'init. :)

Baza