[Wolves] Adam you're account is maxed out!!

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:38:31 BST 2005

On 27/10/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:

> > Thats why I don't like 'comment ability' on a personal website unless of
> > course you have lots of money to burn, I've seen some of the crap that gets
> > posted on peoples blogs and wiki's in my opinion they just open the flood
> > gates for morons to flood you out.
> >

> Most blogs etc get around this using something like :
>
> 1) Enter the code in this picture (should stop automated robots)

It doesn't actually. There's ways and means for them to recognise
images. I note some online poker games have dumped this in favour of
using "turing test" kind of questions. Popup a question that only a
human would know the answer to.

> 2) Comment is filtered through something like SpamKarma

One of the patches developed for usemod wiki can pass content through
spamassassin, but it murders the cpu.

> 3) Comment is placed in moderation queue, and human reviews it manually.

That's a kind of last resort really isn't it? It takes away some of
the interactivity of the web if you have to wait for the moderator to
get off their arse and accept your content.

Cheers,
Al.