[Wolves] Samba and passwords

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 17:18:27 BST 2005

Is anybody on here clued up on Samba?  I don't think this needs an
expert just somebody who knows a bit more than I do.  Before I explain
my problem I will state that I have gone through the O'Reilly 'Using
Samba' book.  I'm running SuSE 9.3 with Samba 3.*  I thought I had
done everything through YAST to set up Samba.  All it really asked for
was a valid Windows Workgroup to log onto.  I was not asked for any
users or passwords.  Ok so it will authenticate from the normal
username/password configuration files (either the Windows ones or the
Linux ones).  Obviously I am wrong as I can see the Windows workgroup.
 I can then see the Windows PC (only the one on this workgroup) then I
see the various drives.  Strangely the two printers do not show up.
If I try to access a drive on the Windows tin I have to enter the
administrator username and password.  That's not ideal as I just want
to access it as a normal Windows user.  The permissions are correctly
set Windows wise; they have been checked with another Win drive in
place of the Linux one and all works perfectly.  Trying to access a
drive on the Linux tin from the Windows tin is worse.  Again it asks
for a username/password combination.  In this case nothing is
accepted.  I have tried root and normal users, nothing.  I am,
therefore, left wondering if there is a file somewhere in the Samba
configuration directory where I need to actually add users and
passwords.

I have both Samba client and server running.  The network is a
standard ethernet with both machines going through a router
(broadband/modem/switch/firewall).  Could this last be my problem
area?
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street