[Wolves] PC bits

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 16:30:58 BST 2005

On 16/09/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:

> >>What I'd like to know is

> >>price and service? I'm
> >>

> I'd recommend a physical shop, you'll get far better service, and I've
> found the price(s) to be only very marginally different (this excludes
> PCWorld and other high street shops who should be avoided at all cost)
>
> Currently, I recommend http://www.cranemicro.com (local to where I work
> in Minworth/Sutton Coldfield). They don't necessarily have a huge amount
> of kit in stock, but they do provide good service (knowledge of what
> they sell etc) and normally have stuff delivered the next day if they
> don't have it.
>
> They have an online shop if you don't like personal / phone confrontation.
>
> >>If you know what you are after, eBay.  If you can't
> >>find what you are after then Ebuyer.co.uk
> >
> > Yeah ebuyer are consistently cheaper than anywhere
> > else. Their customer service has a bad reputation but
> > I've never had any problems.
>

> Avoid ebuyer, I've heard many stories of their service being totally
> crap (e.g. sending the wrong product to you, not refunding you, not
> being easy to reach, poor customer service etc
> e.g. http://www.wrigley.me.uk/wp/?p=85 )
>
> eBuyer may offer to save you a few pounds, but I don't think it's worth it.
>
> Don't bother buying the leading edge hardware, wait for it to be
> reasonable in terms of price (E.g. don't buy processors above 50 quid
> etc) there's just no point.

I have to say that yes, I too have heard the horror stories about
Ebuyer.  However, I have bought loads of stuff from them and not had a
single problem.  I have returned items that were not what I wanted and
they exchanged them without any fuss at all.

Maybe I've just been lucky?  But....bear in mind that Ebuyer is a very
small workforce running a pretty large warehouse system.  Delays are
pretty much inevitable...

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street