[Wolves] Broken computer

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 12:16:48 BST 2006

On 16/04/06, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > Hmm, so 1st things first you need a stick of memory?
>
> I don't know whether that's what I need or not. It's possible that
> it's just the memory, but it seemed in discussion last time that
> perhaps it wasn't and instead the motherboard was somehow knackered.
> What I want is for someone to take it away and bring it back fixed, in
> exchange for some cash, rather than for me to fix it because I don't
> know what I'm doing...
>
> --

What you need is for somebody who has some spare memory sticks of the
correct type as you need.  These can be popped into place to first of
all test whether it is indeed memory or the mobo.

Did you run Memtest?  Sorry I can't remember from the last time.  Next
if it isn't memory (assuming known good memory has been tried of
course) it would need all of the other components (graphics card, hard
drive, sound card etc) swapping over onto a spare, and again known to
be good, mobo.  That's the best way of finding out what the problem
is.  It also means that you will only be spending what you need to
spend - if anything :-)

If Peter can help out, great.  I'm willing to help out with any spare
bits I have to troubleshoot if needed.

Oh, have you tried running a Live CD?  If so what's the outcome?
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay