[Wolves] Basic programming language for linux

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 00:15:53 BST 2006

Mark Ellse wrote:
> Does anyone know/recommend a version of Basic for linux that I can get
> for my son?
>
> Mark
I was looking for a famous quotation about BASIC but I came across this
instead:

"Yuck! Don't learn BASIC! Please! I first learnt to program in BASIC,
when I was about 12, and it took me years to repair the damage it did to
my programming instincts. BASIC makes it easy to program badly and
almost impossible to program well. See here
<http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/jargon/html/B/BASIC.html> for a few reasons
why.

There are some BASIC variants that aren't quite so bad -- MS Visual
Basic is vaguely tolerable, since it doesn't enforce line numbering and
has vaguely non-gruesome handling of subroutines and variable-size
arrays -- but they're still fundamentally BASIC-based.

I'd suggest Python as a good, clean, simple, morally right beginner's
language, which will enable you to get simple programs up and running
fast without permanently stunting your programming skills."