[Wolves] Asterisk geniuses required

Simon Morris sm at beerandspeech.org
Fri Jul 14 21:56:34 BST 2006

On 14/07/06, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (but have you got 2 lines in your
> > server? Or are you
> > diverting a number from the phone system out over
> > VoIP?)
>
> Ahh, is this where I'm going wrong then? I have a
> Digium Wildcard TDM400P to connect out over the PSTEN
> with two X400M FXO modules and 1 S400M FXS module, but
> only 1 FXO has a phone line on the end at the mo. Is
> that the problem? That I need the other line connected
> up to take make the outgoing call when the other one
> is used to take the incoming one?

Yep - This is a slight bummer with home PBXs - you can't call forward
from an external number to another external without tying up another
trunk line (unless there is some voodoo magic I'd be *very* interested
to see).

A SIP connection to an upstream provider (SIPGate or someone better
:P) would count as a second trunk though and is very low cost -
certainly lower than a second PSTN line.

> If thats the case then I'm a dumbass. I don't know why
> but I thought that I'd be able to make more than one
> call over a single FXO / PSTN line, but of course it's
> still a regular phone line. We're not using SIP for
> external calls yet.
>
> If not then I'll get my extensions.conf.
>
> Public blush :(

Meh - thats in the "It's only obvious once you've broken it trying"
category. :-)

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com